Diocese of Liverpool logo
 
Introduction
History
Directory
Services
Architecture
Restoration
Organ
This week
Gallery
Find us
Saint Paul
          

The bells

The two bells that hang in St. Paul's tower are much older than the church having been rescued from the old church when the present church was being built. The smaller bell (weighing 2cwts) is the oldest and was given to the church by the Lord Mayor of Liverpool James Clemens in 1775.
 
The larger bell weighs 12cwts and was cast by Murphy's Bell Foundry in Dublin in 1861 and inscribed

William Chadwick & James Burroughs - Churchwardens

In 1975 both bells were removed from the tower and sent to the Whitechapel Bell Foundry in London for a complete overhaul. The bells were returned to the tower in time for Christmas and the small bell's 200th birthday.


bells

back to Architecture