The present church
Just a short while before the old Church was closed the
family of the then deceased George Ramsden sold the patronage of St. Paul's
to a Mr. Howard Douglas Horsfall who tried valiantly to inject new life into
the dying church, but to no avail. However Mr. Horsfall was not to be defeated -
in very little time he was working towards the foundation of a new parish to be
carved out of the Parish of St. Anne, Stanley.
No less a person than Mr. Giles Gilbert Scott, a young architect who had been appointed to design the Anglican Cathedral in Liverpool, was now asked to design the new St. Paul's Church. Scott had radically changed his design for the cathedral in 1910, replacing the twin towers with a massive central tower which was buttressed by four transepts. St. Paul's is based on the same design and it is very interesting to compare the design of St. Paul's tower with the first design for the cathedral tower.
Construction of the church began in 1913 and was finished in 1916. Along with the Cunard Building, it was one of the few major buildings in Liverpool where building work was allowed to continue during the First World War. The church was to be built entirely of Jacobean two inch bricks specially made in Ruabon. All the walls were to be filled with concrete to give great strength. Certainly this was to be no ordinary church. The plan consisted of three high square groin-vaulted bays separated and framed on the North and South sides (ritually speaking) by short pointed tunnel vaults.